HOTEL PRONSTORFER TORHAUS
Historic architecture in new splendour
The drive approaching the estate is dominated by a gatehouse dating from 1914 with foundation walls dating back to 1737. The imposing building measures 70 metres in length, 20 metres in width and 17 metres in height. The masonry is constructed of red brick and the eaves are four metres high. The roof is constructed as a mansard.
Following a fire at the old gatehouse which dated from 1737, the new gatehouse was erected as a magnificent red-brick building according to construction plans by the Kiel architect Ernst Prinz in 1914. Three construction stages can be identified at the gatehouse even today. The oldest remains consist of a Renaissance base row on the south-westerly side of the left wing. The large bricks here are placed on top of a very crooked, irregular stone plinth which clearly protrudes from the soil – something that cannot be seen elsewhere.
Extensive renovation work during recent years has restored the gatehouse to its original splendour. The gateway itself has regained its round shape and has been lowered from 4.20 m to 3.50 m, while the cobbles have been restored and greatly extended. Barns dating from the sixties have been knocked down, giving the estate complex its former spaciousness.
Thick beams can be seen throughout the interior of the building. As in the olden days, the dormers and doors use wood from the Pronstorf forests and were made at the estate’s own carpentry. The gable windows and dormers were reconstructed according to the plans of Ernst Prinz. ■